American Red Cross Training Course
Teton County/Jackson Parks and Recreation is hosting an American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification course. Participants must accomplish all e-learning sessions prior to class session and must attend all classes for certification. The certification includes Lifeguard, CPR, AED, and First-aid training that is valid for two years and accepted nationwide.
*All in-person classes will be held at Teton County/Jackson Recreation Center*
Location: Teton County/Jackson Recreation Center Swimming Pool
Class Dates and Times (Must attend all class meeting times):
August 20th - 22nd
-August 20th 5-7pm
-August 21st 8am - 5pm
-August 22nd 8am- 5pm
However if you are interested in becoming a lifeguard or working with Teton County/Jackson Parks and Recreation, please call 307-732-5759.
To enroll in the Life guarding course, a person must
1. Be at least 15 years old.
2. Swim 300 yards continuously using each of the following strokes for at least 100 yards: front crawl or breaststroke.
3. Swim to the deep end, surface dive and bring a diving brick to the surface, kick back to the shallow end, and exit the pool in 1: 40 or less.
4. Tread water for two minutes with the use of legs only.
- Preventative lifeguarding skills
- Steps to minimize or eliminate hazards at an aquatic facility
- Rescue techniques including swim assists and use of rescue equipment
- Procedures for handling spinal cord injuries
- CPR for the professional rescuer
Lifeguard certification is valid for two years, CPR certification is valid for two years. Certification requirements include:
- Successfully complete two written exams with 80% minimum score
- Successfully complete final skills test
- Successfully perform all critical skills
Requirements for Successful Completion
- Attend and participate in all class sessions
- Complete all eLearning units prior to attending classroom skills sessions
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
- Pass a final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios which include all 3 of the following:
- Head, Neck, or Spinal Injury in Shallow Water
- Active Victim in Deep Water
- Submerged Passive Victim in Deep Water – Timed Response
All sessions must be attended for certification. More courses will be added as the need arises. If you are interested please call 307-739-9025 or sign up online by clicking here