American Red Cross Training Course
The Teton County/Jackson Parks and Recreation Department will be offering American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course this spring. This course will certify an individual to become a non-surf lifeguard. Participants must complete all the e-learning sessions prior to attending classroom skill sessions. Participants must be able to meet or pass all course prerequisites listed below.
Books for the course may be picked up at registration and participants are advised to read course materials before the class begins. The cost for this course is $90 payabale to Parks at the time of registration and $35 payable to the American Red Cross at the time you register online. If participants work for Teton County/Jackson Parks and Recreation Department for 40 hours within 30 days of successfully completing the course, the $90 registration fee will be refunded.
Due to fees associated with this course; if a participant cannot complete the course for any reason, a $50 non-refundable charge will apply. For more information and to learn about upcoming courses, contact Chuck Parquet at 307-732-5760 or by email.
To enroll in the Life guarding course, a person must...
- Be at least 15 years old
- Swim 300 yards continuously using the following strokes crawl, breaststroke, and side stroke
- Surface dive to a minimum depth of seven feet and bring a 10 pounds diving brick to the surface and return to start within 1:40
- Tread water for two minutes, with the use of legs only, hands under the arm pits
- Preventative lifeguarding skills
- Steps to minimize or eliminate hazards at an aquatic facility
- Rescue techniques including swim assists and use of rescue equipment
- Procedures for handling spinal cord injuries
- CPR for the professional rescuer
Lifeguard certification is valid for two years, CPR certification is valid for two years. Certification requirements include:
- Successfully complete two written exams with 80% minimum score
- Successfully complete final skills test
- Successfully perform all critical skills
Requirements for Successful Completion
- Attend and participate in all class sessions
- Complete all eLearning units prior to attending classroom skills sessions
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
- Pass a final written exam with a minimum grade of 80%
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios which include all 3 of the following:
- Head, Neck, or Spinal Injury in Shallow Water
- Active Victim in Deep Water
- Submerged Passive Victim in Deep Water – Timed Response
All sessions must be attended for certification. More courses will be added as the need arises. If you are interested please call 307-732-5760 and leave your name and phone number.